Microsoft Excel 2010 is a powerful software tool, but as a computer support company we have found that most people only know the basics of how to use it. Here are some lesser-known Excel tricks that can help you work more efficiently.
- Hiding Information: There might be an occasion when you would like to hide certain data when printing an Excel spreadsheet. For example, maybe your spreadsheet includes confidential salary information. Fortunately, you can tell Excel not to print certain rows or columns by hiding them before you hit print. To hide rows or columns, click the corresponding number or letter then right-click on a highlighted row or column and click the Hide option. You can then choose the Unhide option to bring these columns and rows back into view.
- Timestamping: Should you wish to attach a date to your spreadsheet, you can use the Timestamp feature. Just hold Ctrl as you press the semicolon key. If you would like the current date and time hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys while pressing the semicolon.
- A Better-Looking Spreadsheet: Give your spreadsheet a fresh look by employing Excel’s Themes option. You will find this in the Excel Ribbon, at the top. Click it, and you’ll be given a huge selection of fonts, and color schemes that you can try first and then apply to your spreadsheet. It’s also possible to design your own!
- Tracking Trends: The newest version of Excel includes a feature called Sparklines. By employing this feature, you can create small charts that show trends in information. For example, you could use Sparklines to instantly determine how many software bundles each of your company’s salespeople sold in the first half of 2011.
- Conditional Formatting: This feature allows formatting only in cells that meet the criteria that you choose. For instance you could chose to have any dollar amount over 1,000 be a specific color. This helps you view and analyze data faster.
As a Microsoft Gold Partner, Corporate Network Services can help you get the most out of your software investments. Let us know if you need any assistance!